Wednesday, October 17, 2012

31 Days to Seeing Through God's Eyes: Day 17-YOU ARE A THINKER

I recently read an "Unusual Fact" on Twitter. That unusual fact was this: "You can ALWAYS see your nose! Your brain just chooses to ignore it."



That really messed with me for a while. I mean I would cross my eyes and look at my nose then turn away and look at the TV or the wall and sure enough THERE WAS MY NOSE lol.

But then, I forgot about it. I quit focusing on my nose and my disappeared. I didn't think about it all day long! Guess what happened? Someone re-tweeted it and I saw it again. Because I turn my attention back to it, there was my nose again. In my thoughts, on my mind and ultimately in my way! I couldn't see around it.

Don't we do that sometimes with people? Don't we do that to ourselves? We all have faults and while we do not need to blind to our faults, we also don't need to focus on them so much that we go through our everyday life seeing nothing but the fault.

Genesis 30 contains a story about a man named Jacob. It's a great story and I encourage you to read it. The story ends with Jacob putting completely white cattle in front of striped and speckeled trees when they ate and drank and mated. They focused on these spotted and speckeled trees for what I think was a big majority of a cows day. I mean what else do cows do but eat, drink and make little cows?? Anyway, when these little baby cows were born guess what they were? The EXACT thing the moma and daddy cows meditated (focused) on...They were speckeled and spotted.

Moral of the story is that you will produce what you focus on. And you will notice more what you focus on. Your brain can't help it. If you are constantly reminding yourself that you are fat...when you look in the mirror your brain will see fat. You will produce FAT. This happens with everything. If you only see faults in people and that is what you focus on...Your brain will only remind you of only their faults and you will see every one of them. Know what's gonna happen? You are gonna ruin your relationship with this person.

So, what should you concentrate on????

Phillipians 4:8 tells us...
Finally, brothers and sisters, keep your thoughts on whatever is right or deserves praise: things that are true, honorable, fair, pure, acceptable, or commendable.

Find these things in others and focus on those parts of their personality. Focus on the noble, honorable things they do. If you can't find anything to love or anything positive about a person, simply find good because God loves them. build them up in your mind.

It's hard y'all...but with God's grace it can be done! It makes for a much happier life and healthier relationships.

The benefits of seeing people in a postive and good light is as plain as the nose on your face :)

No comments:

Post a Comment